Sunday, September 23, 2012

Counting Eggs Before They Hatch

My, oh my, what a couple of weeks can do to a person. I hope you all had 2 wonderful weeks!

I'm going to start back exactly one week...

The intended mother spent the week before last in St Louis near the clinic. It was finally time to retrieve her eggs. In case you don't remember, this is the first of two egg retrievals. She had been taking her fertility meds to prepare for this for over a month...Last Sunday was "go" time.

The clinic retrieved 4 eggs. They observed them for a few days to see how well they developed and then rated them on a scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the best. On Wednesday, the 4th was determined unviable. The remaining three were rated 1, 2, & 2. Those were observed again until Friday. Friday afternoon, IM sent me a text saying that the clinic notified her that one of them was ready to freeze.

Crazy, right? Freeze it, then use it later. Modern science is just plain nuts.

Friday evening, my husband and I met with the IPs at an attorney's office and signed the final copy of the contract. IM was so sweet and it looked like she was afraid we'd back out.

The fertility clinic said that I will start my birth control the first week of October, and the fertility meds a week after that.

So with everything signed, fertility meds in the mail, and an egg in the freezer, this is well on it's way to becoming a reality. In mid-November, we will all go to St Louis for the final retrieval and transfer. Keep those prayers coming. IM and I pray for this future baby everyday.



1 comment:

  1. I commend you for doing this. I know that I will never be able to have another child- the only way that I would be able to is if someone was to do what you are doing for this family. Amazing. Just Amazing. If you need any help/support through this- I am here for you 100%. Love you girl! My prayers are with you and the IM that everything goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete